The pope has accepted the resignation of an Argentine bishop photographed frolicking on a Mexican beach with a woman, one of several personnel changes announced Tuesday by the Vatican before the pontiff heads off for summer vacation.
Monsignor Fernando Maria Bargallo, bishop of Merlo-Moreno outside Buenos Aires, initially denied having had any improper relationship with the woman, whom he described as a childhood friend. But the 57-year-old Bargallo later decided to step down under the church rule that lets bishops retire before age 75 if they’re found to be unfit for office.
Photographs of the encounter were broadcast on television last week and have been circulating on the Internet.
via Huffington Post
- Argentine bishop quits over racy beach photos – report (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Argentine Bishop Resigns In Light of Beach Photo Scandal (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- Argentina: Press Says Bishop Resigns After Admitting Relationship (eurasiareview.com)
- Catholic bishop faces Vatican’s wrath after he’s busted cavorting with a scantily-clad beauty on the beach (but he insists she’s just an old friend’) (mumbailaity.wordpress.com)
- Photo of Monsignor Raising Eyebrows (huffingtonpost.com)