Catholic tradition honours the remarkable men and women who have contributed significantly to its heritage by recognising them as saints. Secular tradition like to remember specific events or causes by setting aside specific dates for their observance. This page is a start at assembling a calendar of notable dates of importance to our queer Christian community.
The Calendar of Queer Saints and Martyrs for the full year now lists only the most important of the large number that could be included – “most important”: those widely recognized as saints, and also with good reason to be described as in some sense queer.
The monthly pages provide a more comprehensive listing of queer people in church history, including some lesser figures, some for whom the descriptor “queer” is more speculative, and some who were clearly were not saints. All are important for illustrating some part of queer Christian history.
- Sep 6th
- Issan Dorsey, Modern Buddhist saint/bhodisattva?
- Sep 11th
- Mychal Judge, Saint of 9/11 (Queer Saints & Martyrs)
- St Mychal Judge (Jesus in Love Blog)
- Mark Bingham: Gay hero of 9/11 died fighting hijackers (Jesus in Love Blog)
- Sep 17th
- Hildegard of Bingen and Richardis (Jesus in Love Blog)
- Sep 21st
- Henri Nouwen?
- Sep 22nd
- Tyler Clementi: Gay martyr driven to suicide by bullies (Jesus in Love Blog)
- Sep 23 rd
- St Theodora / Theodoros of Alexandria, Cross-dressing’ Saint (LGBT Catholic Handbook)
- St Edward II King of England, 1284 -1327 (LGBT Catholic Handbook)
- St Thekla of Iconium, Cross-dressing’ Saint (LGBT Catholic Handbook)
- Sep 28 th
- Wenceslas and Podiven: Good (gay) King Wenceslas (Jesus in Love Blog)