For a general discussion of these “Texts of Terror”, see Countering the Clobber Texts here at QTC,
The Bible and Homosexuality, ByRev. MonaWest,Ph.D. (at Metropolitan Community Church), with the sub-headings:
- Sexuality in the Mediterranean World
- The Story of Sodom in Genesis 19
- The Writings of the Apostle Paul
- Romans 1:26 ‐ 27
- Issues of Biblical Authority
Also at MCC,
- Not a Sin, Not a Sickness, Rev. Elder DonEastman
At Bridges Across the Divide, Homosexuality and the Bible by Walter Wink
- Homosexuality and the Bible
- Unequivocal Condemnations
- Hebrew Sexual Mores
- The Problem of Authority
- Judge for Yourselves
- An Appeal for Tolerance
For more detailed discussions on each, see:
Genesis 1 & 2:
- “Male and Female (And Others) He Created Them
- Adam and Eve and Steve: Genesis 1 and 2 (Christian Gays)
- Adam and Eve – Did God intend to prohibit same sex marriage partnerships? (GayChristian101)
Genesis 19 (Sodom):
- The “Distorted Christian Tradition” of the Sodomy Myth (1): Introduction:
- he “Distorted Christian Tradition” of the Sodomy Myth (2):Biblical Evidence
- “The Sin That Cries Out to Heaven For Vengeance”
- What Was the Real Sin of Sodom?
- Genesis 19 – The Sin of Sodom (Christian Gays)
- Genesis 19 – Rembert Truluck, Steps to Recovery From Bible Abuse
- ‘Genesis Chapter 19 (Created Gay)
- Anti-gay Evangelicals Admit The Sodom Story Is NOT About Homosexuality (GayChristian101)
Leviticus / Judges
Leviticus 18:19-22 and 20:1-18
- Clobber Texts: A New Reading of Leviticus
- John McNeill: Homophobic Abuse and Distortion of Scripture
- Leviticus 18:19-22 and 20:1-18 – Pagans, Purity, and Property (Christian Gays)
- Leviticus 18:19-22 and 20:1-18 – Rembert Truluck, Steps to Recovery From Bible Abuse
- Leviticus Chapters 18 and 20 (Created Gay)
- Shrine Prostitutes – Is THAT what Moses was talking about in Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13? (GayChristian101)
Judges (relevant for the additional insight it gives to Genesis 19 and Sodom)
- Judges Chapter 19 (Created Gay)
- But the Bible Says – A Catholic reading of Romans 1 (James Alison Website)
- Romans 1 – Read the Whole Chapter Kiddo (Christian Gays)
- Romans 1: The Way Too Long Version (Christian Gays)
- The Bible and Homosexuality Romans Chapter 1 (Created Gay)
- Romans 1: 2- Rembert Truluck, Steps to Recovery From Bible Abuse
And for a really exhaustive treatment, focusing on the historical context and emphasising shrine prostitution, see GayChristian101:
- Are Romans and shrine prostitution historically linked?
- Did Aristides in Ad 125-126, link Rom 1 to shrine prostitution?
- What does against nature mean in Romans?
- Many answers to questions about Rom 1.
Corinthians, Timothy, Jude
- Heterosexist Textual Abuse: I Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 1:10
- I Corinthians 6:9 and I Timothy 1:9,10 – Words Matter (Christian Gays)
- I Corinthians 6:9 and I Timothy 1:9,10 – Rembert Truluck, Steps to Recovery From Bible Abuse
- 1 Corinthians Chapter 6 (Created Gay)
- Malakoi is NEVER used in the Bible to mean homosexual (GayChristian101)
- 1 Timothy Chapter 1 (Created Gay)
(Links to Amazon.co.uk, UK).
Boswell, John: Christianity, Christianity, social tolerance and homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century (University of Chicago Press, 1980) 424 pages
Coulton, Nicholas, (ed) The Bible, the Church and Homosexuality(Darton Longman Todd, 2005)
Countryman, L.William: Dirt, Greed, and Sex: Sexual Ethics in the New Testament and Their Implications for Today (Fortress Press 2007 (revised edition) 290 pages)
Helminiak,Daniel: What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality (Alamo Square Press, 1994 ) 149 pages
Karslake, Daniel, Helen Mendoza, and Nancy Kennedy. For The Bible Tells Me So [DVD] New York: First Run Features. (film)
Lings, K; Renato : Love Lost in Translation: Homosexuality and the Bible
Martin, Dale B. Sex and the Single Saviour: Gender and Sexuality in Biblical Interpretation Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press.
Miner, Jeff, and John Tyler Connoley. The Children Are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence on Same-Sex Relationships (LifeJourney Press)
Patterson, Linda J. Hate Thy Neighbor: How the Bible is Misused to Condemn Homosexuality
Rogers, Jack Bartlett. Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church Louisville, Ky: Westminster John Knox Press.
Sharpe, Keith. The Gay Gospels: Good News for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered People O-Books.
Stone, Ken: Practicing Safer Texts: Food, Sex, and Bible in Queer Perspective T & T Clark International.
Truluck, Rember S: Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse Chi Rho Pr
Via, Dan Otto, and Robert A. J. Gagnon. Homosexuality and the Bible: Two Views Fortress Press.
Wilson, Nancy L. Our Tribe: Queer Folks, God, Jesus, and the Bible (Updated and revised in 2000.)