Leader of Scotland’s Roman Catholic Church has promised an ‘unprecedented backlash’ if marriage equality is legalized
08 JULY 2012 | BY JOE MORGAN
Cardinal Keith O’Brien, the man that compared legalizing gay marriage with bringing back slavery, has declared war.
The leader of Scottish Roman Catholic Church has warned of an unprecedented backlash if Alex Salmond, Scotland’s first minister, presses ahead with plans to legalize gay marriage.
The Sunday Times reports O’Brien has revealed a strongly-worded letter to be read out on 26 August, on a day he calls ‘Support Marriage Sunday’, in each of the church’s 500 Scottish parishes.
It will urge Catholics to donate money to help fund a £100,000 advertising campaign against the plans.
O’Brien said: ‘Marriage is under threat and politicians need to know the Catholic Church will bear any burden and meeting any cost in its defense.’
‘We will use this opportunity to remind Catholics of the importance of marriage as a union of a man and a woman and to urge them to be generous in contributing to a special collection which will be used to support initiatives in defense of marriage,’ he added.
Scotland’s ministers will announce the results of the wide spreading consultation this month, with a finalized bill likely to appear by 2013.
Unlike England and Wales’ legislation, it is planned Scottish churches will be able to bless gay unions but would be free to opt-out.
A Catholic Church spokesman said: ‘This is a straight-forward plan by the church to up the stakes in the war on gay marriage.’
In a recent Scottish Social Attitudes Survey, there was 61% support for the legislation and just 19% opposition.
via Gay Star News.
- Catholic Nun Challenges Church’s Stance on Gay Marriage (queerchurchnews.wordpress.com)
- Equal Marriage – Scotland goes ahead of England and Wales (queeringthechurch.com)
- UK Religious Leaders Launch Campaign to Back Civil Gay Marriage (queerchurchnews.wordpress.com)
- Nick Clegg backs gay marriage in churches – in break with David Cameron pledge (telegraph.co.uk)
- Eddie Barnes: Forget independence, same-sex marriage is the hottest potato for Scottish politicians (scotsman.com)
- Catholic Church declares same-sex marriage poll “flawed” for returning result they don’t like (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Majority of MSPs back gay marriage (scotsman.com)